Restylane was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of America as a wrinkle filler and to enhance lips. This product contains hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance that you can find in one’s own body. This substance will add volume and elasticity to the skin. However or time your skin will start to wrinkle and you will lose skin since you are losing hyaluronic acid in the skin. Restylane gel undoes this action of aging, by plumping the skin so your skin appears smoother and without lines and wrinkles.
Avoid Restylane if:
• You have severe allergies, including allergies to gram positive bacterial proteins
• You have bleeding disorders
• Delay use of Restylane in areas which an active inflammatory process (skin eruptions such as cysts, pimples, rashes, or hives) or infection is present
• Short-term minor or moderate (7-14 days) injection site reactions to Restylane have been observed. Injections of greater than 1.5 mL per lip (upper or lower) per treatment session significantly increases the occurrence of injection site reactions. If a volume of more than 3 mL is needed to achieve optimal correction, a follow-up treatment session is recommended.
Other concerns of this drug:
- Restylane must not be implanted into blood vessels
- Delayed onset inflammatory papules have been reported following the use of dermal fillers. Inflammatory papules that may occur rarely should be considered and treated as a soft tissue infection
- Safety in anatomic regions other than nasolabial folds or lips have not been established
- Restylane implantation carries a risk of infection; follow standard infectious disease precautions.
- Safety of Restylane in pregnancy, breastfeeding, or patients under 18 years is not established. Safety and efficacy for lip augmentation in patients under 21 years is not established
- Formations of keloids may occur after dermal filler injections, but keloids were not observed in Restylane clinical trials in 430 patients
- Restylane injection may cause hyperpigmentation of the skin at the injection site. In African-American subjects, the incidence of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation was nine percent, and in 50 percent the events lasted up to six weeks after initial implantation. Swelling may occur more frequently in subjects of color receiving lip augmentation
- Restylane should be used with caution in patients on immunosuppressive therapy
- Bruising or bleeding may occur at the injection site. Use with caution in patients who have undergone therapy with thrombolytics, anticoagulants, or platelet inhibitors in the previous 3 weeks
- Safety in combination with other dermal therapies, such as epilation, UV irradiation, or peeling procedures has not been evaluated. A possibility of an inflammatory reaction may exist prior to or after Restylane injections if combined with dermal procedures
• Minimize sun, UV lamp, and extreme cold exposure until swelling or redness is resolved.
• Restylane injection may reactivate herpes in patients with a history of a previous herpetic eruption.
• Do not use syringe if content appears cloudy or if particulate matter is present. Use care with glass syringe to prevent breakage.
• Do not mix Restylane with other products prior to injection.
The use of Restylane
Restylane is used for the treatment of wrinkles and lines, such the nasolabial folds. Nasolabial folds are the lines that run on both sides of the face from the nose to the mouth. Restylane can also be used to treat dark circles and bags around the eyes. Plus, it can be used to enhance your lips.
After a consultation where you can ask your doctor questions, and they will assess your candidacy for this treatment, the procedure will occur at the doctor’s office. The procedure will take around 15 minutes to complete. After which you can resume your normal activities. Although it is advisable to rest a bit for 3 to 5 days after the treatment.
7 to 14 days after the treatment you will need to go back for a follow-up visit. Your doctor will then check if you have any side-effects.
You may undergo Restylane Silk treatment. This treatment, unlike other Restylane treatments are designed for lines around the mouth and for lip enhancement. That is since it is made with smaller and smoother particles than the other treatments of this range. The results is a more natural looking appearance.
The results will last for around 6 – 18 months. As the hyaluronic acid is being absorbed by the skin you will need to have another treatment. Touch up treatments will be needed every 4 – 9 months. But with each treatment the doctor will use less and the results will last longer.
Risks and problems of this treatment
The common side effects that has been noted are:
• Injection site scabbing
• Skin exfoliation
• Delayed hypersensitivity reactions
• Immediate-onset allergic reactions and anaphylactic shock
• Vascular accidents and necrosis