Whether you’re moving into a new home or you just want to be on the safe side, knowing how to inspect a home for health hazards is a good way to make sure you’re not in for a surprise. In this article we’ll look at radon, asbestos, and mold. Remember that many sell their homes without caring about the buyer. So, it is up to you to stay away from the following health hazards.
Whether you’re a home buyer, or a property manager, or just a person who wants to keep his home in top shape, it’s a good idea to know how to inspect a home for health hazards. Molds are known to cause health problems, so a proper mold inspection can ensure the safety of your family and home.
You’ll notice mold growth when you have a lot of moisture in your home. This can happen due to a leaky roof, a broken pipe, or water damage in your home’s walls, ceiling, or floors. It’s important to find the moisture source, clean it up, and dry the affected area quickly.
Some molds produce toxins, or mycotoxins, that can be hazardous to humans. These toxins can cause fatigue, unusual bleeding, and rashes. They can also trigger asthma attacks.
Whether you are buying a home or selling one, a termite inspection is an important step in the real estate process. A professional termite inspector can detect termite colonies hidden within your home, and give you an idea of what to do next.
Termites are a real pain to deal with, and can cost thousands of dollars in repairs. Fortunately, a professional home inspection can identify any problems before they become too costly.
Termites are notorious for destroying wooden structures, so knowing how to inspect a home for health hazards is a must. In addition to checking for obvious damage, you should check your gutters for proper drainage. This will help prevent moisture build up, and will also keep termites away.
Termites like damp conditions, and will seek out moisture in your home. If you have a leaky window, a leaky door frame, or any other opening that could allow water into your home, you could have a termite problem. Taking action immediately will help keep your home safe from termites.
Getting your home inspected for health hazards is an important part of your home purchase. The EPA says that about one in fifteen households has elevated levels of radon. And radon is linked to lung cancer.
Radon is a dangerous gas that enters homes through foundation cracks and slabs. It comes from the breakdown of uranium in rock and soil. It is tasteless, odorless, and cannot be seen.
Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States, behind smoking. It is particularly dangerous to smokers.
The EPA says that a radon level of four pCi/L is considered “actionable” and that homeowners should take action to reduce the radon level. This includes installing a mitigation system.
Before you decide on a test, talk to the seller. They should know what type of test is best for the home. They might recommend a long-term radon test that will stay in place for more than 90 days. This test provides a better picture of the home’s actual radon exposure.
Detecting Carbon Monoxide health hazards in your home can save your life and that of your family. Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is produced in your home when appliances burn fuel. Having a qualified technician test your home and replacing appliances that may be producing carbon monoxide can prevent serious health problems.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and tasteless gas that is produced in many common household appliances. It is difficult to detect, but knowing how to look for it can help you avoid exposure.
Carbon monoxide is produced by faulty or improperly installed gas and heating appliances. If you think your appliance is leaking carbon monoxide, you should shut it off immediately. You should also ensure that your vents are venting up the chimney. If you have a gas fireplace, you should also make sure the flue is venting correctly.
Getting an asbestos home inspection is a great way to avoid health problems associated with asbestos. Asbestos can be found in many older buildings, so you don’t want to ignore the possibility. Having your home tested by an accredited inspector is the best way to identify and remove any asbestos.
Asbestos was widely used in construction materials and products for many years. However, as health concerns grew, use of the substance declined. Currently, asbestos is banned in many parts of the world. In the United States, the amount of asbestos in new products is limited to one percent.
Asbestos was used in numerous products and materials, including roofing shingles, floor tiles, and vinyl flooring. It is resistant to fire and most chemical reactions. However, asbestos has also been known to cause lung cancer and mesothelioma.