Since dogs are man’s best friend, we want to offer them the best care throughout their lives. The moment we all fear is that our beloved pet will leave us and many of us have experienced the diagnosis of a life threatening disease or disability, knowing that our beloved dog will have to live in pain.
Many loving pet owners have stumbled onto the benefits of CBD for dogs. Over time this have helped to promote animal wellbeing by alleviating any suffering from pain and various other ailments as we will discuss.
How CBD cannabidiol benefits your dog in the treatment of ailments
- The powerful painkilling qualities of CBD have been known to man for thousands of years. Just like us, our beloved pets have an endocannabinoid system which can be assisted to manage pain. CBD helps increase anadamide level absorption, which dampen pains signals in the brain.
- CBD’s also known for its ability to act as an anticonvulsant. That means that it controls seizures, tremors, spasms and tics. Studies in this area have proved conclusively that CBD manages epileptic seizures and just last year the FDA approved a drug for the control of two types of childhood epilepsy. It is still not quite clear how, but it seems that CBD helps restore overactive neurons to their original state.
In some countries the use of CBD is allowed for patients with multiple sclerosis as it helps relieve spasticity. Further studies have shown that CBD manages the tics and tremors caused by Tourette’s syndrome.
- An important benefit of CBD is its anti-inflammatory abilities. This is one of the reasons that CBD can treat so many ailments. CBD interacts with CB2 receptors in the immune cells, helping to fight inflammation. Inflammation is caused by an attack of the immune system on itself which kills of healthy cells. Arthritis, multiple sclerosis and irritable bowel syndrome are all caused by inflammation and CBD helps lower it, while also reducing the pain caused by it.
- Like humans, dogs can suffer from anxiety and stress, which manifests itself in pets with similar physical reactions. CBD has been shown to help alleviate mental distress and psychosis in humans, and it works on pets too.
Pets suffer from stressors like separation anxiety, noise anxiety, phobias, and travel anxiety.
Symptoms to watch out for:
- Barking persistently
- Chewing on furniture, shoes etc.
- Abnormal urinating and defecating habits
CBD helps alleviate anxiety by targeting the serotonin receptors and to boost its levels in the brain, lifting the mood and reducing the levels of anxiety, depression and fear.
- The antiemetic effects of CBD are well documented and since nausea and vomiting are the serious symptoms of some diseases and their treatment, your dog will greatly benefit as you help reduce the likelihood of decreased appetite, weight loss, dehydration. Antiemetic drugs prescribed by doctors often have unpleasant side effects and are often not well tolerated, whereas CBD has none of them in most cases.
- Even though there is no known cure for cancer yet, CBD seems to be able to slow the growth of tumors. It also helps relieve the pain and other symptoms of the disease, while also helping lessen the effects of chemotherapy (the most common cancer treatment for pets).
Over time, more interesting discoveries about CBD will likely occur. For now, there is already good indications from the academic community that several benefits exist.
Ensuring the well-being of your best friend
Prevention is better than cure, so help your dog stay healthy by ensuring that he maintains a healthy appetite while he gets all the correct nutrients and that he is stress and anxiety free. CBD is the supplement that will help maintain all three. Ask your vet today how much they know about CBD for pets, you might be pleasantly surprised!