‘Obesity’ has been ringing alarming bells on the global platform for a decade. It has now become an epidemic because of its prevalence all over the world. The problem with this health concern is that event hough people know what causes it, they do not exactly know how to overcome it. Of course, there are numerous programs on TV showing exercises to reduce fat, internet is filled with information on overcoming obesity, and a lot of awareness programs are run by each local government to help the population become healthier. Yet, millions of obese people are still struggling to get the desired results.
The problem with obesity is that it co-occurs with other medical health conditions too like Type II diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, low self acceptance and depression. Obesity needs to be dealt with seriously before it doubles up its ratio making 75% of the global population obese. People with disabilities are the worst victims of obesity. They can’t move their wheelchairs easily around and have difficulties in being lifted from chair on to the bed. Even, small kids resorting to junk food and less mobility due to study pressures find it difficult to overcome obesity.
Here are 10 tips which can help you lose a considerable amount of weight without much physical effort!
- Water Intake: You need to make sure that you have a good amount of water intake every day. 10 to 12 glasses of water is a must for you to flush out excess fat and toxins from the body.
- Active day life: You need to make sure that you move around at least once in every 20 minutes of sitting whether you are at the office or at home. It improves blood circulation and helps the body to function better.
- Early dinners: It’s the basic of losing weight. You need to bring in a discipline in your life so that you have dinner three hours before hitting the bed. It ensures that the food eaten is well digested and does not convert into fat.
- Healthy food: Eating healthily is of course the most effective remedy for losing weight. Try to eat right for at least six days a week and let yourself loose for one day. Healthy eating is a key to keeping the weight balanced and to building the right immunity needed to fight infections.
- Exercise: 30 minutes of exercise daily are needed to keep your body healthy and also to help you maintain your weight naturally. Complex lifestyles of the so called ‘modern world’ have left everyone crippled because of lack of time. A little discipline in including a short workout routine every day will go a long way in helping you lose weight.
- Be Patient: Never look for immediate results in losing weight. Losing weight comes from a discipline in life which involves a lot of effort. You need to be patient enough and give yourself at least six months to lose weight.
- Don’t diet: Crash dieting is the worst thing to do. You might end up gaining twice the weight you have lost by going on a crash diet. Dieting only makes you unhealthy! You need to substitute your food with something healthy rather than avoiding food altogether. Not eating only slows down your metabolism and the regular functioning of the body.
- Have a steam bath: Regular steam baths help in opening up the skin pores and letting the sweat out from the body. It also helps to ‘melt’ the fat faster. Try and go for a steam bath once a week.
- Regular body massage: Regular body massage helps redistributing body fat. Regular body massage also helps to improve your blood circulation and gives a good shape to the body.
- Body Mass Index (BMI): You need to bring your BMI to the given prescribed range. The range as per WHO directions is as follows:
Image source: The Disease Burden Associated With Overweight and Obesity (JAMA, 1999, 282(16):1523-1529).
The Second National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey found that 26% of Adults in the USA, which is equivalent to 34 million people, is obese. The age range of the obese population is from 20 to 75 years old. This shows that obesity is reaching alarming numbers. People tend to eat more and move less, thanks to the amenities provided to mankind by science and technology. Everything is getting mechanised these days but somewhere we need to compensate for this advancement by shaking and moving ourselves for a considerable amount of time.
The tips given above will help you lose weight gradually over a period of time. They also suggest that by bringing in a little discipline in your life, you can overcome unwanted health issues to a great extent. Weight loss is a gradual process and takes a lot of time and patience unless you are getting professional advice and following a proper workout routine as prescribed by a professional.