A glass of wine is a favorite tipple for many people when enjoying a night out with friends, sitting down for a meal, or simply relaxing for the evening or weekend. In fact, numerous studies claim a glass of red wine or two regularly can be good for your health and even help you to lose weight! Yet, many people experience less-than-pleasant symptoms after consuming a glass. If your favorite glass of red or white is making you feel less than merry, you could have an allergy or sensitivity to preservatives found in wine. Here are some tell-tale symptoms you could have a sulfite sensitivity.
https://www.pexels.com/photo/adult-beautiful-blur-close-up-374809/Royalty Free Photo
#1. Shortness of Breath:
Whilst it’s normal to feel tired at the end of a night out or after a few too many drinks, you shouldn’t be struggling to breathe. Labored breathing, wheezing, coughing, chest tightness and other respiratory symptoms can be caused by the sulfites found in wine, particularly if you suffer with asthma. The good news is that you can use the StiQit to remove sulfites, so you can continue enjoying wine.
#2. Skin Reactions:
Do you find that after drinking wine, your skin seems more sensitive than normal? Maybe you’re prone to developing pimples or come out with a nasty rash. Hives and flushes are also common symptoms of a wine allergy. Bear in mind the specific cause may be difficult to pinpoint – you could develop them as a reaction to the sulfites, the alcohol, histamine, or even due to pre-existing conditions or medications that you take. However, if you notice your skin reactions have a correlation with drinking wine, chances are that you’re allergic.
#3. You Get a Headache:
Headaches can be a normal occurrence after drinking too much, however, there’s no reason why you should have a thumping head after just one or two glasses of wine. Wine commonly contains histamine, and this substance in your body will usually cause allergic reactions and headaches. You may also experience symptoms similar to those of a seasonal allergy such as hay fever. However, the good news is that you can find low-histamine wines or use anti-histamine tablets to keep your symptoms at bay.
#4. You Feel Better After Switching Drinks:
If you’re usually right as rain when drinking any other type of alcohol and tend to feel better after switching to a different drink from wine, this is a huge tell-tale sign that you might be allergic. Most people who suffer with wine allergies are actually allergic to the sulfites or histamines, meaning that other types of alcohol, such as beer or spirits, won’t produce the same kind of reactions when drinking the same number of units.
If wine leaves you feeling worse, then you may be suffering from a sulfite sensitivity. Speak to your doctor if you’re worried about any allergic reactions.