Nowadays the growing awareness about health and beauty keeps everyone conscious about owning a perfect physique. Thus, naturally the one fear that is nestled at the back of the minds of most of us is how to escape seizing on to those extra pounds.
However, it is understandable that the factors like sedentary lifestyles, fondness for fast food, lack of exercise, and lack of self-control in eating habits results in the gain of those unwanted pounds every now and then.
Quite often we try to get rid of these pounds with the help of crash diets, rigorous exercises, and killing the appetite. Yet it comes out to be just a timely gain. The extra weight reappears much more easily than lost and you are discouraged for the future.
Is it Obesity?
Obesity is a condition when there is an excessive amount of body fat. This results in a decrease in the quality of life, and the health of the individual suffering from it. The obese person is always at a risk of developing serious conditions, like diabetes, hypertension, joint pains, and more.
Many physiological as well as psychological ailments crop up, making the person less enthusiastic and less active. The efficiency levels both in case of body and mind are deteriorated and the average life span is shortened.
Some Important Guidance and Tips
- An overall change in lifestyle is the key to success in reducing the excessive weight.
- Eating habits need to be assessed and modified. Lay more emphasis on less fattening and at the same time more nutritious meals. Food items like sprouts, fresh salads, vegetable soups, and roasted snacks can be used to fulfill hunger pangs.
- Water intake needs to be increased considerably. At least ten glasses of water in a day’s time is a must.
- Seasonal fruits and vegetables will provide you with enough fiber and nutrition to maintain your energy levels.
- Keep a watch on your calorie intake as well as your weekly weight chart.
- Keep yourself occupied and mentally relaxed. Encourage and appreciate yourself at whatever the loss in weight.
- Regular exercise in any form is to be made a daily habit.
- Try to find out the cause of your excessive weight and develop a positive attitude towards overcoming the same.
- Do not support a low self-esteem and never under-estimate your will power.
- Do not make your boredom or stress an excuse of your being fat.
- Do not let yourself think about food. It is believed that gastric juices are produced even at the thought or sight of food items.
- Do not become exhausted with vigorous exercises and get discouraged. Rather, start with a lesser pace in accordance with your own body strength.
- Try not to despise the quality food by the virtue of your taste buds. You can patiently try out some low-calorie recipes and develop a liking for them.
- Try to avoid taking fried, spicy, oily, and sweet foodstuffs. Intake of salt is also to be reduced.
Ayurveda and Weight Loss
Obesity, or aatisthoola as called in Ayurveda, can be cured by some simple suggestions and principles laid down by our ancient scholars of Ayurveda.
- So as to bring down the body weight, or the medha dhatu, it is regarded essential to practice daily exercise not only of the body, but also of the mind.
- Many yoga exercises have been specified for the purpose of easy weight loss. Also, there are deep breathing exercises, or pranayaam, which can be undertaken so as to accelerate your weight loss program.
- Sweet food items should be decreased in daily diet schedule, and at the same time intake of diet components containing bitter and sour tastes should be encouraged.
- Food items like oats, barley, honey, pulses like moong and arhar, and herbs like dried ginger, bitter gourd, aamla, soye, etc. help in removing excess body fat.
- The habit of sleeping in the daytime is to be discouraged.
- Dry massages and enemas prove helpful.
- A glass of lukewarm water along with a few drops of lemon juice and half a teaspoon honey is to be taken on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.
- Some Ayurvedic drugs, like Trifla churan, Mandoor bhasm, Swarnmakshik bhasm, guggul and shilajit are available in the markets and can prove quite beneficial. Medicinal formulations like Medhohar guggul or Triushanaadi loha are generally prescribed. These should be taken under a qualified doctor’s supervision.
Read through HealthyNewAge.com list of articles > Dr. Sonica Krishan’s Teachings on Ayurveda Therapy
Learn more about Ayurvedic Healer Dr. Sonica Krishan > Interview with Dr. Sonica